Recently I upgraded our Silverlight 3 project with WCF services to Visual Studio 2010 Silverlight 4. Overall the upgrade went smoothly with a few glitches. Following are some basic steps:
- Install Blend 4 (if using blend references)
- Install Silverlight 4 toolkit
- Run the Visual Studio conversion wizard
- Update broken references
- Change all Silverlight projects to target Silverlight 4 in the project properties
- Delete all WCF references and re-add them
- When adding a service reference, choose “Reuse types in referenced assemblies" and select specific assemblies instead of the "Always generate message contracts" option.
After running the solution through the conversion wizard I was getting several errors with the WCF services. I tried removing and re-adding the services several times with the “Always generate message contracts” option selected, which worked fine with Silverlight 3 in Visual Studio 2008. By selecting the option to reuse types and checking the specified assemblies, I was able to resolve my issue with WCF in Visual Studio 2010.